Today was the quiz over the first Act in Hamlet. That included the first five scenes.
Important things to remember from each scene:
- Scene 1 takes place in Elsinore castle in Denmark
- Horatio and Marcellus are trying to figure out why the dead king's ghost is appearing.
- Something is amiss in Denmark
- Pay attention to father son relationships. (Hamlet and King, and Laertes and Polonius)
- Hamlet contemplates suicide, but God will not allow it
- Hamlet despises Claudius and views his mother as weak.
- Polonius has a large ego and tries to keep his children from tarnishing his reputation
- Laertes tells Ophelia not to fall in love with Ophelia
- Polonius talks to Laertes about how to act honorably
- Claudius is spending a lot of time partying
- Hamlet follows his father's ghost after being asked not to by Horatio
- Hamlet learns his father was killed by Claudius.
- He swears to avenge his father
- Hamlet tells Horatio and Marcellus of his father's death and makes them swear upon his sword they won't tell anybody