If you are reading this, you didn't get donuts.
- Song annotations. She wants to be able to say she knows you after reading your annotations. Friday.
- Read/ annotate chapters 9-18. Friday.
- Essay. How do our beliefs and faith define us? RULE for college essays. 1/3 story 2/3. You. Due monday
- Pg. 57 quotation due Monday.
HW: Essay: typed, proofread, double spaced 1 ½ pages: How do our beliefs and faith(either absence or presence) define us?
College Essay tips:
- Tell a story: be about you
- ⅓, ⅔ rule
- Be positive
- Don’t offend
- Avoid cliches
- Be you
- song assignment: questions?
- discuss 4-8
- share thinking out loud- participation graded :) how are you going to show me your thinking?
- 3 observations, questions, or thoughts: post on board
- Discuss reading
- Watch Name scene, tiger scene
- Read ch. 9-18
- Be able to share your thinking on Friday
- HW: Song assignment, Essay: How do our beliefs and faith(either absence or presence) define us? p.57 quotation- due Monday, finish reading,
We watched the scene of Pi getting his name.
- when role was called in each class he made sure everyone knew to call him pi.
We also watched the scene of the tiger and the goat.
- What lesson was his father trying to teach him?
Class discussion about chapter authors note -8
- You dont need to raise your hand
- “those we meet can change us.” Eli thinks this is foreshadowing because he thinks someone pi meets will change him
- who you are is based by who you associate yourself with.
- The animals like being in captivity because everything given to them
- Pi also argues that man is the worst behaving animal in the zoo
- Why does martel spend so many pages talking about animals?
- maybe he is trying to make a comparison to humans
- Why does pi go from being so positive about animals to so negative so quickly?
- he does know that they can still take his life
- Zoos compared to religion
- certain aspects of freedom cloud them both
- he argues this because he thinks that religion is not tangible
- “I was more afraid that in a few words thrown out he could ruin something I love.”
- Atheist vs. Agnostic
- no belief
- Pi can not stand agnostic because they are uncertain
- Is Pi closer to his mom or dad?
- while young liked mom more but older will like his dad because of the lessons provided by his dad
- He compares himself at school to an animal in the zoo treated by man.